EATHAN – East Africa Trans Health & Advocacy Network is a network of trans*diverse activists and organisations in East Africa covering Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania & Uganda. We aim to equip and enable East African trans*diverse activists and organisations to organise and advocate for the improvement of their health, the recognition of their gender, and the protection of their human rights; utilising informed research and documentation, particularly on health and HIV, and by enhancing their livelihoods through capacity strengthening and empowerment.
EATHAN is looking for a dynamic, results-oriented, competent Communications Assistant to join the EATHAN family. Reporting directly to the Programme Director, the successful individual will be instrumental in shaping EATHAN’s communications identity, strategy, direction and reach.
- Develop and implement communications strategy to ensure effective engagement and outreach with EATHAN members and allies.
- Handle organization’s communication needs.
- Generate, edit, publish and share organization’s content – articles, images, videos, press release.
- Assist in conducting awareness raising campaigns and information dissemination. both online and offline, organizing events/meeting.
- Taking photographs and recording audio and video content during meetings and events.
- Setup and manage organization’s online platforms – social media and website.
- Increase organization’s online visibility.
- Prepare quarterly newsletter.
- Proof-reading, editing and formatting organization’s communication materials and reports.
- Build and sustain relationship with members and stakeholders.
- Handle membership requests.
- Engage with EATHAN members online by responding to questions and requests on our social media channels.
- Review and update content, images and layout of EATHAN’s websites to ensure they continually evolve with our work.
- Collect content from member organizations to promote their work across the network.
- Gather data and monitor traffic to EATHAN’s websites to help improve EATHAN’s online presence.
- Perform other assigned duties.
- Commitment and passion for human rights and ITGNC issues in East Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in relevant field or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of engagement with ITGNC community.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and can work well independently with little or no supervision as well as function as a team member.
- Knowledge and experience with MS office applications, google applications, social media applications, graphic editing tools and website tools.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines while maintaining consistent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- The position is based in Nairobi and may involve traveling within East Africa
- The position is on a part time or full time basis depending on terms and conditions
- Intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply
How to apply
Please send your resume/CV, a cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format by January 22, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.